Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Calling a Bluff In Position after Opponent misses a draw.

Hey guys, welcome back to "How Would You Hold 'em?"!
Click on the link below to view the video for this hand, complete with audio narration. Click the full screen button in the lower right-hand corner if you want to expand it.



Today's edition deals with a pretty common situation: how do you spot someone who's trying to buy the pot after they miss their draw on the river? Fortunately, for most of the players online, this isn't too hard. Lets take a look at the hand.


As you can see, we've got a decent starting hand, Ad Th, in middle position, facing no raises in early position, so I'm going to go ahead and shoot out a moderate raise, say $1.75. I get three other callers.


Now I've flopped top pair, so naturally I'll need to follow up my pre-flop bet with a post-flop raise, especially with the flush draw showing. I get two folds and one check-call from the guy in early position. That should immediately set up some flags in your head: he may have a flush or straight draw, or he might be slow-playing a monster. I'm going to bail out of this hand if another spade comes. Let's see the turn:


It's a blank for drawing hands, which means I'm going to turn up the pressure even more and bet $3.50 to try to get him out of this hand. He still calls.





It's another blank, but this time he's opened and bet $5.50. I'm not buying it. This is a pretty textbook example of trying to buy the pot after he missed his draw. His constant calling either indicates a slow-play or a draw, and I'm feeling the draw based on the nature of his river bet. I'm gonna call.

How Would You Hold 'em?

I'm gonna call this every time. I put him on a draw, and I'm going to stick with that read.


Let's take a look:


Sure enough, he was trying to purchase that pot with his failed spade draw.

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment